Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Swish

Ding.
Swish.
The elevator doors open.

I hope no one walks in.

Then walks in Corbie MacIntyre. He looks down at my body motionless on the floor of the elevator. He steps over it.

Swish. The doors close. He presses 5.
Ding. The doors open. He steps over me and says "There goes another crow."

I raise myself to the floor buttons and press B for basement with a sporadic move of my hand.
Swish. The doors close.
Ding. The doors open. The basement is flooded from all of the rain that has enveloped our city. I would normally be worried, but now as the doors swish open, my transformation is complete.

Swish.
I swim through the water and climb to the window on the wall with my arms. The sky throwing rain at the streets makes it impossible to see clearly two feet ahead of where I am. No one is around...I think.
I dive into the water swishing down the side of the street.

I need to make it to that pond.

I thrust, I swim, I lash.

Down into the manhole I go.

1 comment: